As you all know i am an AWS FAN BOY!! for this year AWS Summit we have done a really cool session that how we are using AWS Developer tools and how we are using alexa with our practices.
Mainly we did talk about
- What are the challenges we had?
- How AWS solutions and services helped us to satisfy our requirement?
- Integrating Amazon Alexa Skill to AWS CodePipeline.
What are the challenges we had?
• Lacking a standard CI/CD platform
We were using a Jenkins server to do the deployments for all the applications and the services. One of the main challenges was a proper CI/CD platform. Our app stack is running on multiple languages such as Golang, js , python and some php as well. Setting up a CI process for each was not easy task.
• More manual human interact workload for deployments
There are more human interactive manual tasks when we have to do deployments and executing post build commands. There are more downtime and hard to roll back the deployments.
• Highly vulnerable security issues and trouble with keeping the secrets
As a best practice we should not commit the db and other configuration files to the repos. It is highly vulnerable. Once we created the container image need to setup separate scanners for scan the image. Which is extra effort.
• Trouble managing the infrastructure
Managing the infrastructure changes for the deployment was a huge trouble.
• Hard to isolate the bottle necks of the application/services hence no proper observability
In the DevOps culture Observability taking a pivotal role. Which is really Important to integrate all these into the CI/CD setup. Without proper traces and logs hard to identify the application bottlenecks.
How AWS solutions and services helped us to satisfy our requirement?
As we all know that AWS having 170+ services and tools and much more to come. This is our Electrify Stack and all the AWS services we are currently using.We are using all the Developer tools, and which helped us to satisfy our requirements.
Our application is a Data intensive service which needs services such as Redshift data warehouse solution. PostgreSQL on Aurora helping to scale our application…